Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mid-orientation update

I have been going to four 1.5 hour lectures on teaching and a 1 hour survival Korean class these last few days. It has been a little bit tiring at times, but generally I am getting some great ideas on how to help plan lessons for the classes that I will be co-teaching soon (more on that later). Sunday we all went on a field trip to a hanok village (traditional clay arched roofs) and learned some history, played new games and made some crafts. We got to take short lessons on dancing with masks, drumming, and learned about the wedding ceremony. Also toured a local market where you can haggle prices if you can speak a little Korean, but these old ladies are tough! My group ran across a band of masked Harley riders cranking their engines.

Tomorrow is my last day of classes, then I will get to present a lesson plan the next day and meet my provincial organizers and maybe my co-teacher. This person is responsible for helping me get everything I need. Then Friday, I will get on a bus and head to my new apartment, which will be somewhere in Jeonbuk province. Monday is National Independence Day, so Tuesday will be my first day of teaching.

Today was my last day of Korean classes here, but I heard that the bigger cities offer free classes to EPIK teachers. I am crossing my fingers that I will get to stay in Jeonju, a nice-sized city so full of old and new culture. Soon I will be posting pictures or links to them on this blog so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment