Monday, March 8, 2010

A more challenging day

I didn't know how to get to my last new school or the exact name of it this morning. When I got to Nowan Elementary, nobody knew to greet me, so I wandered around the cold building with my socks because I couldn't find any sandals. I finally went to the English classroom and got settled in. I taught six classes, two each of 3rd, 5th and 6th grades. For my first ever 3rd grade class, the teacher left me alone in the classroom for some reason unknown to me, and I played survivor with a group of 30 wild kids screaming and running around. I don't know how I am supposed to discipline them yet (or what I can do), so I just encouraged them to behave and focused on the attentive children that wanted to learn. I did miming with flash cards and they went along with that ok, and the kids that were wanting my attention lost it, so some of them even joined in. Also, I couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat in the room so I froze most of the day (one teacher tried to help me, but I couldn't understand her). I can tell that I have my work cut-out at this school, winning over the respect of my co-teachers and adjusting to the environment. Fortunately it is only one day each week. I really loved most of the kids and I think they enjoyed me, and possibly learned something.

Tonight in taekwondo, I received my white belt and got my bum toe taped up. It was a fun practice, doing some light drills. We played this game where two people stand abreast, holding each other's belts and they try to tag people with the kicking pads. Whenever they get someone, that person has to join up, gradually forming a larger chain until everyone is in. It's fun to run behind them and try to dive between the center of it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, six classes in one day. That must have been extremely exerting. That's good that you did the best you could with the flash cards, causing the ones who actually had an inclination to learn to benefit from your services. The others probably caught on to the cue that paying attention was what they were supposed to be doing, so that sounded like a good choice on your part. There are always mishpas and mistakes, communication gaps etc...that can explain why there were no sandals to where in the building, and I'm sure walking around the complex in this fashion could have added further to some of your unsurety in a new environment/disorientation of not being able to find where you were supposed to go. It sounds like a lot of different factors culminated in your slightly more difficult experience at this location. The teacher leaving could have been to see what you would do, or maybe they are trying to ween you into teaching independently--just a conjecture. I'm sure you'll get the hang of this school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Cristen, that sounds like it was a truly rough day. You are a more positive person than I am. I'm sure I would have went home and cried. I don't know how to deal with that many children. I have no idea how one would go about handling that. It sounds like you did that best you could, went with it and appreciated the experience. I am forever proud of you. Pig and I are your biggest cheerleaders! Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hardcore man. Are you using Skype still?

    ReplyDelete